carpe diem

where to go now?

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

A Favourite Movie - Day 2

Ummm, I'm not a very movie person. I don't see lots of them, don't watch lots of TV, I'm more about words on a page than pictures on a screen.

And I'm a hopeless romantic when it comes to movies. I'm a bit more nuanced when it comes to books, but I like romantic movies, teary movies, but movies where the guy gets the girl in the end.

My favourite movie might be Gone With the Wind. It was for a long time. I love it. I love Rhett Butler. He's so damn sexy. And I love that he's pretty Dom and the clothes are gorgeous and there's so much undercurrent about morals and expectations and ... yeah. I love the interaction between the two of them, the tension, her trying to boss him around, his refusal to be bossed. Growing up, I think that Rhett/Clark was my perfect man, smart, bossy, successful, older and oh so sexy. That might be my favourite movie. And I know it doesn't really seem like it, but I've always been convinced that it does eventually end happily. He comes back to her, because he can't stay away, and she's learned her lesson, works at making it work and they live happily ever after. Could happen, right?

 I also love Star Wars. It has adventure. Technology. Ideology. Some comedy. Good against evil. A bit of love interest. She says, "I love you." He says, "I know". Yes of course it was always Han Solo. It kind of shocks me that there could have been any question there of choosing Luke over Han. Han had that bad boy thing going on. Luke was ... well more like your brother right? So no big surprise when that turned out to be the case. And really, anything else that Harrison Ford has ever been in... yum.


http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b6/Pretty_woman_movie.jpgOr Pretty Woman. Yes, so politically incorrect in so many ways. Happy, sad, unrealistic, great music that makes me happy. Of course I know that it's not that simple and that life as a hooker isn't pretty. But I just love the love story in it. Does it matter that she starts off as a hooker? Maybe not, I think it's a Cinderella story with a great shopping scene in it.And it's funny. And the guy gets the girl in the end. Or is it the girl getting the guy?

So those are my movie picks. What do you mean I was supposed to pick one? I don't think it said I had to just pick ONE did it? No way. And btw, they might be different picks on different days. Maybe. Although nothing else comes to mind. Yeah, I know they're all old. Hey, do you notice they all have older men in them? Coincidence? Probably not.

12 comments:

  1. Daddy actually just bought mouse GWTW for Chanukah and its mouse's favorite movie. You're totally right on Rhett/Gable. When he tells Scarlett that she needs to be kissed often by someone who knows how -- you just instinctively know he wasn't talking about 'kissing,' swoon!

    Hugs,
    -m

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all your movie picks!

    And I never realized my Master was quoting Star Wars when I say "I love you" and he says "I know".
    I should have; I sure watched the movie enough times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol @ your not recognizing the quote.

      -sin

      Delete
  3. Hey there! I first want to say I love this whole 30 things meme:) I might have to do this at some point! I always enjoy finding new things out about y'all so thank you for sharing all of this:). Now I love me some pretty woman! That movie never get old! And Star Wars....another great one! Love it as well! But I have to admit.....I have never seen gone with the wind! I know I know! Who hasn't seen that classic! Well....me:). I really don't know why I have never watched it, just never have. Maybe I need to at some point:). Mr B is always amazed at the things I have not seen when it comes to movies hahaha :)

    Belle:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting Belle.

      And I think you'd love GWTW. Awesome movie.

      -sin

      Delete
  4. I'm a huge Rhett fan too. i used to think he and Scarlett would get back together. i haven't watched the movie in years, but the last time i watched it, i started crying at the first Civil War scene and practically cried through he rest of it. It was wonderful and exhausting.

    i like Pretty Woman too - it's like a grown up fairy tale.. Or a female version of the Horatio Alger stories... lol.

    i'm loving that you're doing this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not surprised that we'd love the same movies. Though it's a very long movie to cry all the way through!

      -sin

      Delete
  5. My favorite would be Schindler's List, moving, certainly dark, but an amazing piece of art.

    Next, Woody Allen's Manhattan.

    The one thing they have in common is they are both shot in black and white (with a short color scene in Schindler's List).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mick, I honestly had no idea that Schindler's List has colour in it. I'll watch for it next time.

      And I'm not a Woody Allen fan at all! My husband loves him though.

      -sin

      Delete
  6. Please don't fall down, but I've NEVER seen nor read Gone with the Wind. I know. It's on my bucket list. Right after I finish the Great Bridge. Maybe. :)

    I saw Ghost yesterday. I'd taped it some time ago. I still cry when the penny moves up the door and into her hand...Patrick Swayze at his best. And Dirty Dancing ( "I carried a watermelon" comes up in conversation every now and again!) And def. Pretty Woman and Star Wars. And You've Got Mail.

    Great picks!

    nilla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nilla! You have to read Gone With the Wind. Or see it. Or both. It's the best. I think I might re-read it now since I'm telling everyone else to read it.

      And definitely yes for Patrick Swayze at his best, which was Dirty Dancing and NOT Ghost where I find him whiny and way too in touch with his sensitive side.

      -sin

      Delete