carpe diem

where to go now?

Thursday, January 31, 2013

Something I Never Leave The House Without - Day 3

My phone. I know it's boring but it's the thing I never go without.

I was the first kid on the block with a cell phone. It was 1991 and it was huge and heavy. I sure knew whether it was in my purse or not. 

I've had a few new ones since then.

Right now I have 2. One for work, and one for me.

I take mine everywhere. Just in case.

I live not quite in the country but almost. And I take it in case I get stranded. It's a safety thing for me. It's less about always being able to chat with my friends or family, and more about being able to call for help if I have car problems.

And my Dominant likes to be able to reach me, so I take it for him.

And I run, so I've called for a rescue a couple of times, and a couple of times just cause I couldn't make it home again..

I didn't always take it running. When you run, you want to run light if you can.  My husband used to nag me to take it, and sometimes I would, and sometimes I wouldn't.

Once I was training for a half marathon. Training was going well, it was several weeks before the race and I was doing a long practice run. It was cold and damp, kind of crummy but the run was going well. At about 15 kilometres I slipped, twisted my ankle, badly, and fell by the side of the road, onto the shoulder rather than the busy highway thank goodness. I called home to say I had hurt myself and to tell them where I was. My rescuers were there in about 10 minutes to drive me home and ice my ankle, which was about the size of a grapefruit by the time I got home.  Which prevented me from running the darn thing, or running at all for about 6 months btw.

So when I'm tempted to go without I think of that day and almost always take it.  Though occasionally, very occasionally, If I only go out for 20 minutes, I'll live on the edge and go without.



3 comments:

  1. I am one of the rare ones, I have never had a cell phone, and never really wanted one. But now they do so much more, makes it a little more tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally with you on the cell phone. I had one back in the days when they were literally car phones because i traveled for work and didn't want to be stranded on the highway (as i had been once in the frigging pouring down rain.)

    Now, my iphone and i are pretty much attached at the hip. So to speak. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Honestly, that's something mouse will rarely leave home without. Even on the short trips. And if she does...it's the ONE time she'll actually need it..

    Damn that murphy and those laws..

    Hugs,
    mouse


    ReplyDelete